Tips from Nica Lorber's presentation at DrupalCon, "Don't Let Crappy Content Ruin Your New Site" (good advice!)
- is not curated for the web
- decreases usability (both language and speed)
- does not meet website goals
Don't forget that:
- people read 20% more slowly online than on paper
- continue to consume online information in an F shaped pattern
- scan instead of reading every sentence
- people are task focused and have limited time to search
Don't be afraid of good editing. Always ask:
- what is the utilitarian purpose of this page?
- can it be shorter?
- can it be eliminated?
What we can do to facilitate a user's online journey:
- provide intro paragraphs before larger blocks of text
- avoid "banner blindness," i.e. people ignore any information placed on the right hand side of the page, where ad banners typically exist
- place most important information in the upper left hand area of a page
- use action words and phrases
- get to the point quickly and succinctly
View the entire presentation below for more tips. Go forth and produce great content!